Shoes Clutch by
Kent Stetson Handbags
Sophie Bickley @SophBicks
It is said that scents or smells affect people’s moods, decisions, and work performance. So, whether it’s at work, on the train, in an elevator, on a job interview, or in any kind of close quarters situation, the last thing you want to be is ‘The Smelly Skunk.’ This is especially true since bad odors will illicit a less than positive response that will forever haunt you. With Halloween just two weeks away, let goblins, skeletons, and evil spirits scare people away, not your B.O.
Following are my “in-a-pinch,” odor-killing, emergency tool picks for staying fresh and clean from morning ’til night.
Please note: None of these products replace a nice, soapy shower, scalp scrubbing shampoo, or sudsy teeth brushing. Avoid smoking altogether to rid yourself instantly from tobacco smell.MED e TATE your way to a blissfully dry existence with a technique so simple, it merely requires a swipe of a wipe. Purify the soul and help reduce embarrassing sweating and wetness. Helps channel confident energy. This patented harmonious union of antiperspirant therapy fortified with botanicals helps create a supremely dry state of consciousness. Dermatologist Tested & Approved Allergy Tested, Hypoallergenic, Non Irritating, Non Comedogenic, Oil Free, Fragrance Free, Dye Free, Paraben Free, Gluten Free, Phthalate Free, No Animal Testing. DRYBAR TRIPLE SEC 3-IN-1 Spray provides full-bodied movement and soft, matte texture to flat hair for a perfectly tousled look, high volume hair day. This portable hair spray functions as a light, clear dry shampoo, absorbing oil, and it instantly leaves hair feeling fresh and clean. It’s uniquely formulated with a blend of crystal clear, microporous minerals that absorb oil, boost fullness, and add flexible, matte texture to all hair types. UV protectors shield strands against ultraviolet radiation and help keep them healthy, making Triple Sec your hair’s go-to beauty tool. This product is cruelty-free and Prop 65 compliant. Verbena Refreshing Towelettes Delicately perfumed with citrus scented Verbena, these Refreshing Towelettes cleanse and perfume your hands. Easy to carry, they can be used all day long and are ideal for travel. 100% biodegradable towelettes. Perfect fix for sweaty, clammy hands right before the handshake that could seal the deal of a lifetime.
There are countless reasons why you may be missing the mark on job interviews, or being passed up for more visible positions within your current workplace. You may be lacking credentials, experience, people skills, or “professional maturity.” It can take you months or even years to overcome such objections, but HYGIENE—the silent career killer—is one obstacle you can overcome in as little time as it takes to brush your teeth. Yet so many people would sooner get a PhD than address their VbBO (Very bad Body Odor). While travelling into Manhattan today in a not-so-well air-conditioned train, with 100 degree weather outside, a wretched human stench brought Phoebe Buffay’s (played by Lisa Kudrow on NBC’s ‘Friends’) rendition of ‘Smelly Cat’ to mind. If you don’t know who you are (you never do), the safest bet to avoid being crowned “Mr./Ms. Stinky” is to take a preventive approach. Unpredictably, seemingly innocent odors or flakes are liable to turn into near-suffocating and stomach-turning obstacles in your career. Following are three of the most common hygiene offenders and ways to dramatically improve your hygiene scorecard in business and beyond.
As our body temperature rises, our sweat glands come to rescue by secreting fluid, known as perspiration, to cool us down. It’s our built-in sprinkler system, if you will. Yet, if you are someone who tends to perspire a great deal it does not automatically mean you should not smell fresh. Surprisingly, the clear secretion produced by our glands is actually odorless. It’s only when the bacteria found in our skin and hair takes over the secretion that odor is emitted.
Combat body odor by bathing once or twice a day with an antibacterial soap rather than a lavender or musk scented bath gel that will only disguise your smelly syndrome. Pay close attention to areas like your neck, underarms, groin, feet, toes, and just about everywhere there is a crease or a skin fold for bacteria to linger. If you like particular floral or woodsy scents feel free to apply them after the use of antibacterial soap. You may also consider hair removal options to deter bacteria from finding a cozy home.
Nicotine breath, empty stomach breath, sick breath, tuna fish sandwich breath, or poor oral hygiene breath will surely keep you at more than an arm’s length from a potential employer, co-worker, or client. Avoid thinking that chomping on a stick of gum will fix oral smells. It will only temporarily mask the problem and create bigger issues down the road (i.e. cavities and TMJ or lock jaw). Also, as far as business etiquette faux pas go, gum chewing is at the top of the list.
Combat offensive breath by flossing and brushing after every meal. Arrange visits to your hygienist every six months, even if your insurance only covers going once a year. You, your breath, and your teeth will be rewarded tenfold for doing so. Examine food choices that may be the cause of gastric issues which permeate through your breath. A tasty and practical solution if you’re rushing between interviews, appointments, or meetings is to eat a whole apple on the go. It will not only satisfy your appetite; it will also act as a natural flossing agent to dislodge food particles from your teeth.
Aesthetically unpleasing and embarrassing, dandruff is an uncomfortable condition that is often exacerbated by weather changes (cold to hot or hot to cold) and high-pressure situations like interviewing, or dealing with stressful deadlines. Poor food choices, lack of sleep, bowel dysfunction, and excessive use of hair products may also be responsible for aggravating dandruff.
Combat dandruff by choosing shampoos meant for dislodging the dry skin cells from your scalp. Maintain a balanced diet and choose high-fiber foods that help cleanse your system. Experiment with home remedies such as adding cider vinegar to your shampoo for cell removal, or massaging mineral oil into your scalp before washing your hair to help restore moisture. Regularly brushing your scalp also helps stimulate it and removes flakes. A combination of shampooing, conditioning, and eating right will alleviate this ever-frustrating challenge that may be branding you as the office outcast.
Use hats to…
• Beautify messy, limp, or unshampooed hair
• Hide dark or gray roots
• Add height to your body as usually done with high-heels
• Emphasize your eyes
• Incorporate personality and flair into an otherwise ‘blah’ outfit
• Create a signature look for yourself
• Balance the look and style of your shoes for a complete & polished look (think of hats and shoes as bookend accessories)
Choose hats to accentuate, balance & camouflage…
• Wide Brimmed & Oversized Floppy hats offer the most protection from weather elements, but also camouflage large ears and long necks. Glamorous, dramatic, and voluminous in shape and size, these are a perfect option for balancing curvy silhouettes. Choose wide brim hats for lounging by the pool while sipping a frothy drink. Wear oversized floppy hats under long, loose curls with flowy maxi dresses for a romantic, retro-chic look.
• Fedora hats gained their name from Sarah Bernhardt’s 1882 play ‘Victorien Sardou,’ in which she also starred as the heroine, Princess Fedora. The narrow (2-2.5 inches) brim of a Fedora makes it a classic, understated hat option. Wear your Fedora tilted to one side in order to camouflage asymmetrical features or eyebrows. Tilt it forward for a mysterious and seductive look, as well as for camouflaging a protruding nose. Pair a Fedora with a tailored suit, dress, or trench coat for a perfectly refined image.
• Cowgirl hats are worn by women who choose to accentuate strength and ruggedness— though they are ironically interpreted as sultry and sexy. The high-crowned structure of this hat adds inches to your height, thereby accentuating slender physiques and balancing molded ones. Throw on a cowgirl hat whenever you want to kick your t-shirt and jeans up a notch or with a cami-top and tiered skirt for a look that is edgy yet relaxed.
• Baseball Caps & Visors are the natural choice for hat atheists. Baseball caps and visors are easy to throw on for a quick supermarket run or trip to the hairdresser. Gender-neutral and universal for pairing with casual wear or active wear, these are flattering for all face shapes and silhouettes. Baseball caps and visors are ideal for comfort, protection, and versatility. Invest in baseball caps or visors without emblems or sports logos in denim and velour fabrics or classic plaid and tartan prints to combine a bit of urban with upscale.
• Cloche hats emerged in the 1920’s and gained popularity alongside flapper dresses. The bell shape and snug fit of a cloche hat make it a perfect solution for camouflaging ears and foreheads that protrude. Short hairstyles can be neatly tucked under this hat and paired with a drop-waist dress to achieve a roaring 20’s vintage feel. Cloche hats complement women with fine facial features and petite silhouettes. Add a gemstone or floral pin to accentuate and personalize this classic feminine look.
• Bucket hats are soft with a downwards sloping brim which offers moderate shade from the sun. Favored by competition archers and fishermen, bucket hats provide a cool and sporty option for wearers who prefer to do without the fussiness or drama of wide-brimmed and floppy hats. Typically constructed from heavy-duty fabrics like denim and canvas, bucket hats are a great option for adventurous or outdoorsy women looking for protection and flair. Bucket hats accentuate a camo-safari look with simplicity and comfort.
• Beret hats associated with French culture are flat-crowned, soft, round, and moldable caps that are transportable and easy to wear. Berets soften angular features, elongate round faces worn tilted, and balance oblong faces worn slightly off-center. Hand-knitted, crocheted, or woven berets may also be dressed up by adding a decorative pin. Berets complement just about any outfit, and look especially chic with military jackets since they originated as uniform headgear for soldiers during the seventeenth and eighteenth century.
Keep fashion hats on whenever…
• The national anthem is being sung or played
• A national flag is raised or exhibited in a parade or funeral procession
• Attending a religious service
• Dining at a luncheon, wedding, or garden party
• In a residence
• Sitting at an indoor performance or event
Remove fashion hats whenever…
• Interviewing for a job
• Working within a professional environment
• Dining in business
• They obstruct the view of a person sitting behind you
• Wearing unisex hats such as trendy baseball caps/visors or stylish cowgirl hats during: formal introductions, funeral/processions, flag raisings, mealtimes, religious services, indoor performances, work environments, or while entering public buildings or restaurants.
*Cancer patients and women with Alopecia Areata are exempt from these hat removal etiquette guidelines